Sunday, December 07, 2008

Vacation

We're back from Tennessee!

We drove to visit Dave's mom for Thanksgiving. It was a great visit, except for the getting sick parts.

Sunday night I was hit with a nasty stomach bug and couldn't keep anything down. When I finally broke down and went to the Dr. Monday night, Ethan threw up in the van on the way there (thank goodness for empty Cool Whip containers!) so Dave checked us both in. Ethan had ear infections, and I was given something for nausea.

Then Dave came down with a slightly different manifestation of the same bug, and his mom with a kidney infection.

We rallied enough to go to Dollywood on Wednesday for the Polar Express 4-D ride, the Christmas lights, the carousel, and some hot chocolate. Then we took it easy for the rest of the visit.

And I am going to have to talk to Ethan's pediatrician about finding an effective antibiotic that isn't pink. Ethan has a sensitivity to artificial coloring, in that when he ingests it (particularly any of the reds) my normally highly-active child is transformed into a cross between Tigger and a whirling dervish. He does not stop moving EVER and can't pay attention even to things that would normally hold him spellbound. He spent this past week just bounce-bounce-bounce-bounce-bouncing about grandma's house, ignoring any and all directives.

So we drove back last night and made excellent time. The children traveled well (even Dylan, for the most part), and it was an uneventful drive, which is exactly how I like it. But can I just say...Hey, Mississippi! What the heck?! I don't know if any of the rest of you have driven I-20 through Mississippi to know what I'm talking about, but it's a good thing none of my family is prone to motion sickness. How do you even make a road like that - one that rides like a choppy sea? Dip after dip after stomach-flipping dip. It was a very dramatic ride. Ethan enjoyed it immensely.

We stopped at IHOP for dinner, thinking it would be something the kids would scarf so we could get back on the road. I ordered pancakes for the kids with a banana smiley face and strawberry eyes, and a tube of strawberry yogurt to draw hair. Then I left for the restroom. When I returned, our waitress was back at our table and was telling Dave they were out of those pancakes, and had her hands full of her substitutions - chocolate pancakes with chocolate chip smileys, and whipped cream and maraschino cherry eyes. O....K. Whatever. In the interest of expediency, I told her that was fine, and everyone dug in (after they requested syrup - which I obliged. In for a penny, in for a pound).

A hop and a skip later (though the skip seemed to last hours) we were home, and got all three kids to bed in record time.

When I checked our messages, I was reminded that today is a field trip to Plantation Pines for the Adventurer's Club. No rest for the weary!

I have a vague recollection of taking some pictures on our trip. If there are any worth posting, I'll put them up later this evening.

Dave just brought Dylan in, so I should fix him some breakfast.

We miss Tennessee, but it's good to be home.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Empty Cool Whip containers??? I have this vision of you passing Ethan a container, him throwing up in it, and then you popping the lid on and passing him another.

Kerrie said...

Oh dear - I shouldn't have clicked to make a comment... ew Jamie... ewww...
Good thing I don't use Cool Whip. *urk* ;-)

Mommy said...

LOL I just happened to grab it out of MIL's cupboard on the way out the door, just in case....for ME. Lucky job I didn't need it after all!

Yeah; lots of icky thoughts this time in comments. LOL Maybe I should post some pictures from the trip or something and move the sickness down the page.