Monday, November 10, 2008

Hummus

Hummus was a huge addiction I picked up while pregnant with Ethan. I went through what felt like gallons of it. Until yesterday, however, I had never tried making my own. Now that I know how easy it is, I will probably never buy it again.

This is very basic hummus. It is an excellent canvas for other spices and flavors, or delicious just as it is.

Try not to faint when you see the price of tahini. Just take a deep breath and think of how much hummus you will be making out of this one jar, and compare it to the price of each of those tiny little containers of ready-made, and you'll feel much better about it.

If you've never bought tahini paste, it doesn't look like what you might think a paste should look like. The kind I've found comes in a tall(ish) skinny glass jar. It's kind of a thin consistency, and when you see it, it will probably look separated, with the oil sitting on top. A good shake brings it back together again.

I got this recipe from Cooking Light.

Basic Hummus

2 (15.5 oz) cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 TB fresh lemon juice (I just used the jarred stuff)
2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Place beans and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add water and remaining ingredients, pulse until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.

Even after it was all mixed well, I just let the processor run for a couple minutes, just to try to make it extra super smooth.

Pita chips are traditional for dipping, but you can use whatever. When I was pregnant with Ethan, I used crackers, or veggies, especially carrots and red or yellow pepper strips.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I love hummus and have found the most wonderful Greek restaurant right here in Roanoke. Their hummus is to die for!

But you know...having a stash at home could be a good thing!

Mommy said...

Oh! I wish we had a Greek restaurant here! The only place I know of here that has hummus is Jason's Deli - they have a yummy roasted red pepper hummus on their salad bar.

But it sure would be nice to have some from a Greek restaurant!

Claire said...

So, I've never had hummus but I'm going to have to try this. Um, I've been craving broccoli and cucumbers like there's no tomorrow...think it would mix well? LoL!