Monday, November 10, 2008

Eggless Muffins

The other day I took Ethan with me on some early morning errands. As I hadn't time for my customary chai-and-toast breakfast, I decided to forgo the toast, poured my tea from a mug into a cup better suited for travel, added a splash of milk, and hit the road. Ethan asked from the back seat, "can I have muffins for breakfast?" I told him I was sorry, we didn't have any muffins, but I would see what I could do another day soon. He insisted he smelled muffins, and that they smelled SO GOOD and the smell was making him hungry for muffins.

And then I realized. He was smelling the spices in the chai.

After explaining that I truly wasn't hiding muffins in the van, I promised him I would make him muffins soon. And this morning I did.

Or, rather, I tried. The first batch was pumpkin. If I've ever failed so dismally at baking, I don't recall it. They were horrible. They didn't bake at all, just got hard on the outside, while the inside stayed raw. It was like eating thick raw muffin batter. Just ick.

No problem. I would just whip up another batch of muffins. NOT pumpkin, though.

Except that I used my very last egg in the pumpkin muffins.

So I turned to the internet, and asked the wise almighty Google for an eggless muffin recipe.

Google pointed me to a recipe for banana-nut muffins from a cooking blog called Saffron Hut (that sadly appears to have been abandoned). And I learned yet another something new; namely, that in some baking recipes, egg can be replaced with banana. Did you know that? I didn't know that.

This was a good thing, because I had several bananas on my counter that were already entirely too ripe for anything but baking.

Crossing my fingers, because by this point it was nearer lunchtime than breakfasttime and the kids were starving, I measured and mixed and baked and was richly rewarded with some of the best muffins I've ever made. Fluffy and light and flavorful. The kids each had three. Dylan was NOT impressed, and spit out three bites before I gave up. I loved them, and when Dave got home he loved them too. Four out of five is a pretty good majority, I'd say. We're going to be making these a lot.

Banana Nut Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
4 ripe bananas, well mashed
Small handful of walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 375F and line muffin tin with paper muffin cups.

Melt butter, remove from heat and whisk in sugar. Stir in bananas and set aside.

Whisk or sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour butter mixture into dry ingredients, stir just until combined. Gently stir in nuts, reserve about 1TBSP.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle reserved nuts on top. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.


Soooo good! I left out the nuts because I thought Dylan would be eating them too, and he just doesn't have the teeth for that yet. I added some spices - about 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp each of ginger and nutmeg.

No comments: