Monday, November 10, 2008

Chocolate

We've only been using this chocolate gravy recipe for a little over a year, but it's already a classic for us. I make it for birthday breakfasts, and sometimes if I haven't had time to put together a special dinner, we use it for Sabbath dinner as well. I don't think it keeps well, and it must be enjoyed hot. As it cools, it thickens. The kids are so paranoid about hot things, it's usually thickened to a pudding by the time they will eat it, but they don't care - it's chocolate, after all.

Chocolate Gravy

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup European style cocoa (I should know what this means, but I don't. I use Hershey's)
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium saucepan, combine the dry ingredients and mix fully, until you are rid of as many flour/cocoa lumps as possible (it just occurred to me that sifting might be the way to go with this step). Gradually mix in the milk. Bring mixture to a boil, simmer one minute. Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.

Serve over biscuits, of course, but I'm thinking french toast might also be yummy.



And now for the hot cocoa. I found this because I was looking specifically for something I could use in the crockpot for Ethan's party. It was so good, I'm considering having a Christmas party just as an excuse to make it again. Someone at the party told me she isn't even normally a fan of hot cocoa, but she liked this so much she had two cups. This recipe makes enough for 20 people.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup hot water
1 gallon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (was in a tizzy and forgot this)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (yep. forgot this too. thankfully nobody noticed or cared.)

In large saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt. Add hot water slowly, mixing well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk.

(This is where I poured it into two waiting crockpots (we doubled the recipe), carried it to the park, set it on low, and that was that.)

Heat to serving temperature, stirring occasionally. Do not boil! Remove from heat, add vanilla and cinnamon, and whip with a whisk. Serve hot, with whipped cream or marshmallows.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I wanted to ask you for your chocolate gravy recipe when I saw you had it for Ethan's birthday breakfast. YUM! Glad you posted it.

And that's how we always make hot chocolate. Swiss Miss is gross compared to the real stuff;o)

Mommy said...

The real stuff was SO good. It's hit or miss for me when I make it in small batches though. I guess I need to have parties more often so I can make it a gallon at a time! LOL

Claire said...

Mmmm, they both sound yummy. Ironically, I've been craving french toast these last few days and I've been thinking about making it. Now I think I "have" to. ;P

And, we love hot cocoa around here, so, now I have a really good homemade recipe to try. LoL!