Thursday, October 02, 2008

Tired

I've come to the conclusion that Ethan doesn't go through phases. It's all just one long, unending phase. Nothing is working, and it's so tempting to just give up. I don't suppose they have a military preschool anywhere. I think a healthy dose of Marine boot camp would do him a world of good. He doesn't need a Mommy, he needs a drill sergeant.

Ahem. Moving on.

But not to anything more pleasant. No, no. Not here. Not this week.

Dylan stumbled the other day with a lego in his mouth. Bled and bled and bled while I cuddled him. He was fine within about 5 minutes (and yes, I did get all the blood out of my shirt).

But then today? He was holding one of Ethan's bubble blowers. Oddly enough, the one he's holding in his picture down there under the "Dylan" post. He LOVES that thing. Loves carrying it everywhere, and loves chewing it. We have misgivings about this, yes, but normally he's very careful about not having it in his mouth while he's walking, so we let it slide. But this week, nothing is going right. So that means, of course, that today, instead of stumbling with it in his hand, he stumbled with it in his mouth. The end with all the ridges. I picked him up and checked for blood and didn't see any, and I held him while he sobbed, and he tipped back his head, and his poor little throat was scraped raw and bleeding.

Later on, he wouldn't eat lunch. Not knowing what else to do, I gave him a bottle.

Then he didn't take much of a nap. He woke up sobbing an hour into it and clung to me while I rocked him, refusing to be put down. Each time I thought he was ready to go play, he would start crying again, and turn back to me with his arms outstretched.

And I'm not sure what to make him for dinner. I might try buttered potatoes? I really don't know what to give someone with a throat injury, other than Tylenol.

And what if it gets infected? What am I looking for? And anyway how would I see it? It's not like I can make him gargle with Listerine.

Wouldn't you know, on Thursdays our pediatrician closes at noon. I've been trying to Google it, but evidently this hasn't happened to anyone else in the whole entire Internet. Either that or they're ashamed to admit they let their toddlers walk around with potentially injurious objects in their mouths.

I guess I'll be calling his Dr in the morning, if he still won't eat.

And she'll probably want me to bring him in.

I'm ready for this week to be over.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

How is Dylan this morning? The poor boy! Was he able to eat anything? Did you call the pediatrician?

As for Ethan...if you find a military pre-school...let me know. He and Ida can sign up together.

I think we have similar first borns.

Mommy said...

Thanks Jamie, he's doing great. He happened to sneeze and it made him cry (I knew it would - I cringed when it happened), but he ate breakfast like a champ. I am going to keep giving him Tylenol through today at least and probably tomorrow too and then stop and see how he does.

Ethan's doing better today so far. I'm going to try a new activity for him later - straw painting - we'll see how that goes. :)

Jamie said...

That isn't when they blow air through the straw is it? I did that with my fourth grade class once and at least six of them sucked in paint!

Looking forward to hearing about it and so glad Dylan is doing ok!

Claire said...

Glad to hear that Dylan is doing well. Poor Baby!

And as for that military pre-school...perhaps I'll sign up both my first born and my second born for that one. ;P

Straw painting sounds like fun. I think Ty'Lain would have a blast with that!

Mommy said...

I tried to thin out finger paints with a little water, but that didn't work very well, and we had a lot of clumps. He ended up finger painting, but had fun anyway. I want to try the straw painting again, though. I'll have to make sure he doesn't suck up the paint though!! LOL