Monday, June 23, 2008

Sometimes You Just Can't Catch a Break

Tonight I had to rescue Aidan from a diaper full of fire ants.

Full.

Of fire ants.

Fire. Ants.

They were vicious. So vicious were they, that when all were finally swept away, many, if not most, of the bites were bleeding. His back, his rear, and the back of his legs are covered in welts. He wouldn't even sit down in the baking soda bath I prepared for him. He did, however, let me dunk a washcloth and hold it to the worst spots. Then I dosed him with Benadryl and slathered him in aloe. I don't know if the aloe will help or not, but it's all we had.

I'm praying hard that we don't have a repeat of what happened when Ethan had his own run-in with fire ants (almost three years ago now). I don't know if it was coincidence, or if he was allergic, but Ethan ran a very high fever and was sicker than I had ever seen him for two or three days following his bites.

After I got Aidan dressed for bed, I sallied forth and avenged my son, dousing their village with a bottle of Clorox Clean-Up, which is about as close as I could get to burning and pillaging. And Dave is stopping after work tomorrow for some granules.

Now, I know things are supposed to happen in threes, but I think Aidan's two incidents are more than sufficient, thankyouverymuch.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh no! You and Aidan have surely had your fill of trouble!

Fire ants are horrible! I used to hate taking Ida outside when we lived in FL because they were always in our yard.

I hope he woke up happy and feeling well this morning. And that you are ready to face a new and hopefully CALMER day!!

Kerrie said...

Oh no!! That poor little guy, that sounds horrible.