Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Predator

Usually when I think of hawks, I think of them floating lazily through the sky on the wind's currents. When they are not soaring, I've seen them sitting on branches and wires, the better to see around them in order to better hunt, I suppose. I have never, ever seen a hawk on the ground.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I happened to glance out the office window and see a hawk sitting (!) on the driveway behind our van (!!!). Drawn by the nest-building activity of our swallows, no doubt, he was driven away by roughly eight swallows before I could get the camera, and when I stepped outside, he was already out and over the trees at the furthest edges of the neighborhood, the Swallow Posse hot on his talons.

I'm sure we'll see him again, and I'm keeping my camera at the ready.

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

We have everything from huge golden eagles to little peregrine falcons here (we've got homely little vultures too! I had no idea there were vultures in Pennsylvania!)
I've seen little birds drive the big boys away too - it's quite the sight to watch these fragile little things go after the huge raptors with those scary-sharp beaks and talons! Their bravery always amazes me.
Hope your little swallows stay safe!