Thursday, May 22, 2008

Good Things

I've been in a bit of a funk lately, so I haven't felt much like writing, but I wanted to talk a little about two lovely things that have happened to me in the past 24 hours.

I used to know a guy who was constantly on the lookout for what he called "hugs from the Lord." These were just about anything that made him smile - from spotting a hawk circling in the sky, to a lizard scampering across his path.

And in the midst of my blah-ness, my eyes have been opened to God sending me special little reminders that my life is good.

Late yesterday afternoon, the kids and I went out in the yard to sit and veg out (me) and race back and forth the length of the yard (the kids). Two birds were chasing each other through the sky above our house and our immediate neighbors' houses, at times dipping and swooping so low over our heads that I could see every detail of their feathers. Their tails were beautiful. When spread, they looked like a butterfly's wing.

This morning, sitting on the floor in the living room, we heard a bird singing very close by. I assumed it sounded so close simply because I had a window cracked, but what happened later made me realize it had been closer than I thought.

At lunchtime, Ethan pointed excitedly out the back door. I peeked out, and saw a Barn Swallow perched on a small lip of the overhang on our patio. When I came back with the camera, I spooked it and it flew away before I could get a shot. When I went looking online to find out what kind of bird it was, I discovered it was the same kind of bird that had been flying in our yard the night before. And I learned that they like to plaster their basket-type nests on an open wall. Such as the overhang on our patio.

I'm thinking that our young swallows are looking for a suitable space for nesting. And I am delighted beyond all reason.

The second thing that has me smiling is something I noticed a few days ago, but didn't really pay attention to until this afternoon. And it requires a brief back story, so bear with me.

When this house was built, the builder planted an oak in the front yard.

Which promptly died.

So he planted another.

Which also promptly died.

So we gave up calling the builder and decided to do it ourselves. Went to Lowes and picked out a pecan tree.

Which faltered, but did not die. Well, right away.

The next season it looked pretty puny, but it still made a valiant effort and put out some leaves.

This season, nothing. We basically have a 7-foot-tall stick in our yard, decorated ever-so-optimistically with a ring of daffodils.

And that's where the matter stood early this week when our neighbors offered us a young magnolia they were going to remove in order to put in a pool. I was excited, because really anything is better looking than The Stick, and don't get me wrong - I love magnolias; but I mourned the loss of the pecan. I had my heart set on pecan.

They said they'd bring over the magnolia sometime in the next couple of weeks. So at press time we are still living with The Stick.

And because we don't keep up with the weeding like we probably should, I didn't notice a small growth at the base of The Stick until today, really. And it's already a foot tall if not taller.

It's a wee baby pecan tree, sprouted from the roots of the one that died.

And these two little things have me practically giddy with excitement. I guess it doesn't take much to pull me out of my doldrums. And I'm happy about that as well.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I think those are two awesome "hugs from God" and I'm glad you were able to accept them and that they made you smile!

Kerrie said...

I am so behind in my blog reading - I LOVE this, and the whole idea of "God hugs" - those were some pretty loving squeezes indeed! :-)