Saturday, April 05, 2008

Two Recipes

I am completely besotted with coconut these days. And I found a recipe that couldn't be simpler, for a chicken-coconut soup. So that's what I'm having for lunch.

Here's what they said:

1 can coconut milk
2 cups chicken broth
Fresh grated ginger

Heat through and enjoy.

Here's what I did:

1 can coconut milk
1 can low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne
a few twists of the pepper grinder
1.5-ish cups of shredded rotisserie chicken.

Just as simple and sooooo creamy and good.

Now. Chicken salad. This is from my new cookbook. I made it last night, and even the kids loved it. It's sweet, which I guess is a plus when you're feeding kids. I really played up the honey and craisins when I presented it to Ethan. You're supposed to present this in little tart shells, but I just stuffed it into whole wheat pitas.

Honey-Chicken Salad

4 cups chopped cooked chicken
3 celery ribs, diced
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

1.5 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup honey
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Optional Garnish: chopped toasted pecans

Combine chicken and next three ingredients.

Whisk together mayonnaise and next three ingredients. Add to chicken mixture, stirring gently until combined. Spoon into baked tart shells (or into/onto your bread of choice).

(You can use less honey if you'd rather it not be as sweet)

Very simple, and everyone loved it. We're definitely putting this one into the rotation.

No comments: