Monday, March 17, 2008

New Pet

Yes, that's right. We have a new pet. But, just like last time, we won't be keeping him.
One of our friends from church stopped by to pick up a box of things that Dylan has outgrown, to take home to his new baby. And in return, we got a teeny, tiny, way-too-stinkin'-cute-for-words....snapping turtle hatchling, his shell not even as long as half my thumb.

And, I have to be honest, the part of me that's still a 10-year-old tomboy wants desperately to keep him. But the thirty-mumblemumbledy-year-old mom knows that a snapping turtle is most decisively not the best thing to keep in a house full of inquisitive boys four and under, with their prying, poking, vulnerable little fingers.

Also, the internets inform me that snapping turtles are omnivorous, but apparently this little guy didn't read the same page I did, because a eensy little bite of banana on a toothpick that I waved in front of his face didn't make him pounce aggressively on his "prey" as predicted, but instead caused him to flee to the other side of the container as fast as those scrawny little reptilian legs could carry him.

And so, since a hatchling needs to eat at least once a day and sometimes twice, we will have to release him into the wild. There are plenty of creeks and ponds around these here parts. We'll probably all pile into the van tomorrow and set him free.

But in the meantime, isn't he a cutie pie? Or maybe it's just me, Little Miss Wannabe Naturalist, that thinks so.


3 comments:

Gail said...

I love it!!

I've always wanted to have itsy bitsy turtles like that! **sigh**

I'm jealous!

Claire said...

Awww, how adorable! Love him, Love him, Love him! I love turtles, one of my favorite pets, and I've thought about getting another one. I keep looking at the picture and wishing I could pick him up. ;P

Kerrie said...

Oh my gosh, he is adorable!!
We wound up keeping the darn eastern painted turtle that my children found wandering down the street... my goodness.. 4 years ago? Have I really been a turtle-keeper that long after I swore that he was not staying?
His name is Raphael.
He's seriously stinky and I fret constantly about salmonella, but I've got to admit that he is still pretty darn cute ;-)