Friday, December 07, 2007

New Addiction

Last Christmas, with a gift card to Borders from my uncle-in-law, I purchased a book that had been on my "To Read" list for a while - Comfort Me with Apples, by Ruth Reichl. It sounded like it would be mostly about food, and we all know how much I love food.

Turns out, yes, it was about food, but it was equally about her infidelity, detailing a long affair with another man who was not her husband. For that reason, I found it a very uncomfortable read and didn't enjoy it, so I can't say I recommend it.

But there are recipes at the end of every chapter, and I tried one for the first time last night: Shrimp Curry (with chicken instead of shrimp because I am SDA).

And I have to say: she may not know how to behave, but she sure can cook. It. Was. Amazing. Today, the whole house (and I) smell like curry, especially since I just reheated and polished off the leftovers for lunch (better the next day, of course!) but it was totally worth it. I loved that it used (relatively) common ingredients and that I didn't have to chop ginger (she uses powdered). It was easy, and it was fast, and it's actually pretty cheap, if you already have most of the stuff, as I did.

It tasted more Thai to me than Indian, and I imagine that's largely due to the use of coconut milk in it (which Aidan loved - he kept sidling up to me wanting to drink from a spoon whatever milk I wasn't using). The heat in it was perfect - not scorching, just nice and warm. And it's definitely not low fat (hello heavy cream, coconut milk, and butter), so as soon as I finish this post I'm off to do Pilates.

But yeah. Delicious.

Shrimp Curry (or chicken. heh.)

1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed (did mine in the garlic press)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp pure red chili powder, or to taste (I assumed this meant cayenne, and I used 1/4 tsp)
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup well-stirred coconut milk
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I threw a couple lbs of chicken breasts in the oven to roast, and shredded them.)
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, or to taste
Salt and pepper (didn't use it - didn't miss it)

Cook the onion and garlic in the butter in a heavy 5-qt pot (I just used my huge non-stick skillet) over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes.

Add the spices and flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.

Whisk in the cream, coconut milk, broth, and lime zest, and bring just to a boil. Simmer, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.

Add the shrimp and simmer, stirring, until the shrimp turns pink and is cooked through, about 4 minutes (I dumped in the shredded chicken and simmered to reheat and blend the flavors).

Stir in the lime juice, and add salt and pepper to taste (again, totally unnecessary).

Ladle over rice and top with garnishes (raisins, salted roasted peanuts, chopped candied ginger - didn't have this stuff so didn't use it, but it sounds lovely).

Oh, and Ethan loved the smell of this. He kept leaning over my bowl breathing deeply, inhaling the scent, but was hesitant to try it. He said it smelled like "the sticks in [his] closet." Incense, if you're wondering. Heh.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I love when you post recipes:o)