Tuesday, November 20, 2007

This Christmas

Dave and I were talking last night about the tree we'll put up this year. Specifically, we were discussing what we would do to decorate it since we have a nearly-two-year-old who absolutely refuses to stay out of/away from things he's not supposed to touch, no matter how consistent we've been.

Yes, I should teach him to stay away from the tree. Yes, he should learn. But frankly, I'm not interested in being the Tree Police this year - I have enough on my plate keeping the kids safe and happy under everyday circumstances.

So, we came up with the idea of doing an unbreakable, non-toxic, old-fashioned tree.

We'll string popcorn and cranberries, hang dried apple and orange slices, make christmas cookie ornaments, and tie pretty red and gold ribbons on the branches.

I know Ethan will love stringing the garlands and helping make the cookie ornaments. And I'm finding myself getting excited about putting together this tree, and about spending time with my family making our own decorations. Any extra time we can spend together unwinding and having fun is time well spent, in my opinion.

So there you have it. In the interest of my sanity, we're having a very Smoky Mountain tree, and who knows but that we might end up liking it so much that we do it every year.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

That sounds like a wonderful idea. It may even continue for years to come. Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Your ideas always inspire me. I love the way you make everything into such a family event.