Saturday, November 10, 2007

Rice Pudding

I knew - I was absolutely certain - I had made this (though only once) in Connecticut. And I knew - I was absolutely certain - that it was a recipe from Everyday Food. Problem is, I couldn't find it in any of my back issues, and a search on their website was no help. I was beginning to think I was going crazy, when I finally, after about an hour of Googling, found what I was looking for.

This is one of the easier rice pudding recipes I've found. It also has much less sugar than several I came across in my searches. Nothing fancy, not even cream. Just milk, rice, sugar, cinnamon, and a little salt.

Please be VERY careful while waiting for the milk to boil. I tell you this because I have just finished cleaning scorched sugar/milk/rice off my stove. When milk comes to a boil, it happens quickly and dramatically. Keep an eye on things!

Rice Pudding

6 cups milk
2/3 cup long grain white rice
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together in large saucepan (I highly recommend non-stick for this one!). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-lo or low and simmer very gently for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally (more often as it thickens). Serve warm or refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

You can also stir in 1/2 cup of raisins after it is cooked, before chilling.

No comments: