Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My Mouth is Like Cotton

Ethan woke up earlier than usual this morning. Since we've had a string of bad days, I thought a little one on one time before everyone else got up might help . So I went into his room bearing James and the Giant Peach, figuring we'd get through maybe a chapter or two, and hoping it wouldn't be too dark a tale for him.

Ethan wasn't sure he agreed with my choice. "Mommy, that's a LONG book!!" he reminded me, with wide, skeptical eyes.

"Yes, I know, but we won't read the whole thing. We'll read until you get tired of it, and then we'll stop and you can go eat breakfast."

And so we began. And we read, and we read, and we read and read and read. Holy cow. We read until Dylan woke up, and after I fed him, we read even more. Forty pages in all. Yes, forty. I know.

At the end of each (short) chapter, I asked, "Are you ready to go eat some breakfast, or do you want to keep reading and see what happens next?" He invariably (obviously) chose to keep reading, stopping for breakfast only while Dylan nursed. Then we took our reading to the couch. Finally, Aidan proved too much of a distraction and he chose to get down off the couch and go play.

But still! I never dreamed he'd sit still for 40 pages of anything. Geez Louise.

And now if you'll excuse me, I am parched and I'm off for some water.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

That is so neat! What an awesome Mommy/son moment...I mean MOMENTS. Wow...40 pages!

I found something I want to share with you. When I read it, it reminded me of things you would do...so please email me at christmasspirit@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you.

Thanks!