Monday, October 15, 2007

Recipes!

OK, so I've been sitting on this recipe from Cooking Light for quite some time now, and finally last night I made it for dinner. It's supposed to be a post-workout thing to help maximize your metabolism or help your muscles recover or some such, but whatever, we had it anyway. And it was delicious! Definitely one that's going into the regular rotation. Even better? It's quick and easy - HUGE selling points when you're dizzily pirouetting between the cooking and the kids. We didn't have a chance to try it on either kid yet, because we had such a crazy day that the kids were in bed before Dave and I had a chance to eat, but I bet even they would like this.

Roasted Chicken-Artichoke Calzones

1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped (I just used 2 of the small 6-ish oz jars of the marinated hearts)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach leaves (I eyeball this - about half a bag of baby spinach, with my big cooking knife rocked over it some to break them up. I wouldn't spend a ton of time on this step)
1.25 cups (5 oz) shredded sharp provolone cheese (I don't overthink this one either - I popped about half of the 1lb block into the processor - so probably closer to 2 cups. I bet you could use shredded mozzarella in a pinch)
1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp cornmeal
1 (13.8 oz) can refrigerated pizza crust dough (next time I will use two cans - we had a TON of leftover filling)

Preheat oven to 425.
Pat artichokes dry with paper towels. Combine artichokes, salt, pepper, and garlic in a large bowl. Add spinach, cheese, and chicken, toss gently to combine.
Brush oil over a baking sheet, then sprinkle with cornmeal. Unroll dough onto prepared baking sheet, cut into 6 equal portions. Cover and let rest 5 minutes (I didn't do this - I was starving so I was in a hurry). Pat each portion into a 6x5 inch rectangle. Spoon 2/3 cup spinach mixture into center of each dough portion (if you can fit all that in there, I am duly impressed, and more power to you. I think I did a little closer to 1/3 cup. Maybe my rectangles were too small). Fold one corner of each dough portion over spinach mixture to form a triangle. Press edges together with fingers to seal.
Bake at 425 for 12 minutes or until golden (took closer to 15 for mine).

Very, very good. I could have eaten all 6 of them.


And now! Presenting...a 100% whole wheat bread recipe that actually rises up high and beautiful instead of being all dense and heavy and more suitable for building a house than eating. It's hearty, yes, but not ridiculously so, as most of them tend to be.

I found it here.

I am seriously impressed with this recipe. I still want to play around with it, because I'm greedy like that, and want to see if I can make it even lighter than it already is, and also maybe add some oats or other grain, but this is still a very excellent starting point.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

To start...
3 Tablespoons yeast
4 cups warm water
4 cups whole wheat flour Mix these ingredients together and let sit until double. (Usually 15-30 minutes.) This step is called a sponge and is very important to allow the yeast to get a head start.
Add...
1/2 cup butter or vegetable oil
2/3 cup honey or molasses (being the Queen of Indecision, I used 1/3c of each)
3 teaspoons salt
6-8 cup whole wheat flour Mix this together and knead for 15 -20 minutes if kneading by hand. Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise again until double. (About 30 minutes) Punch down and shape in pans. Cover and let rise again until double. (20-30 minutes). Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (took mine a little longer - closer to 40). Oil top of bread for a nice shiny crust.

And there you have it.

And now I must tend to Dylan.

Enjoy!

No comments: