Thursday, August 23, 2007

What's for Lunch Today, Chef?

It's been a while since I put up a new recipe. So let's do one today, shall we?

Lunch today is Black Beans and Rice, quick and easy, since the base for the soup was made ahead and frozen. This is really delicious and healthy too - full of veggies and protein and low-fat to boot.

Sofrito Base
(I always double this at the very least - I like to keep a lot on hand. Have more vegetables ready than this calls for - I always need extra to make enough)

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
2 green bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, coarsely chopped (2 1/4 cups)
2 red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, coarsely chopped (2 1/4 cups)
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 large tomato, cored and coarsely chopped (2 cups)
3 cups cilantro leaves and tender stems
Coarse salt and ground pepper (I always forget to put this in, but I never miss it - this is very flavorful)

In a 5-qt Dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.

Add bell peppers, garlic, oregano, and cumin; cook, stirring often, until peppers are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes more.

Transfer to a food processor. Add cilantro, puree until slightly chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

If not using immediately, transfer sauce, in 1-cup quantities, to airtight containers. Freeze up to 3 months.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Black Bean Soup

In a medium saucepan, heat one cup thawed Sofrito over medium heat. cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.

Stir in 2 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed; one can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth; and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Cook 5 minutes.

Puree with an immersion blender or with a regular blender working in batches (I don't. I use a potato masher a little, but I like having some texture). Season with coarse salt and ground pepper (again, I think it's flavorful enough, so I skip this).

Spoon over cooked white rice and then liberally slosh about the lime juice (I use LOTS right on top of each bowlful, and stir it in).

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Good heavens...shouldn't you still be recovering? And you're down there cooking? You put me to shame! But we love black beans, so I'm saving this one!