Monday, August 06, 2007

Tired

Well, I've been to see Dylan twice now - on Sunday and again today. I've been able to change two diapers, and I've taken his temperature twice. I've taken lots of frozen milk to him, and they've been giving it to him through his feeding tube (I've been able to be there for his 3:00 feedings). His pneumothorax (the small tear in his lung) has healed.

The trips have been difficult; I'm not sure I am quite in good enough shape to be traveling, but now that I've been, it would be hard to stay away. Yesterday's trip was more difficult than today's, so I'm hopeful that they will just continue to get easier.

I was half-heartedly considering taking tomorrow off, until they mentioned that tonight they may take his tube out, and that tomorrow we may be able to hold him. Of course, now there's no way you could keep me away tomorrow!

I'd been hopeful that I would not need antibiotics for my ear infection, but yesterday it had swollen so much that I could not shut my jaw, so couldn't chew, and I could hear nothing on that side. And the pain was excruciating, even through the pain medication I was already on. So almost as soon as we pulled in the driveway from Dallas, off we went again to the urgent care clinic. Lucky us - we were able to be seen AND get the prescription filled all in under an hour and a half. I'm on a 5-day course, one pill a day, and the neonatologist assures me that it will not harm Dylan. Already the pain in my ear is gone, and by lunch time today I could bring my top and bottom teeth together again. Funny how I always took chewing for granted! It's still very swollen and congested, but I'm confident it won't take much longer to clear completely.

The road to recovery has been arduous for everyone, but we're hanging in there and improvements have been steady.

Thank you all for your prayers, well-wishes, comments, and emails. I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll be able to put up a picture of me holding my baby at last!

No comments: