Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Poetry

Just because.

Just because the house is quiet - everyone in it is asleep (except me, obviously).

All day both yesterday and today I've had the last line in this poem swimming around in my head - I can't shake it. So I share it with you. This is the first poem that ever made me cry. I still remember how startling that was - I'm not typically one to get emotional when I read. This poem always seems to be chilly and damp and barren and grey, so why it's rearing its head on hot and sunny days is beyond me, but still here it is.

What is one of your favorite poems (or your favorite poet)?

Sonnet II
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Time does not bring relief; you all have lied
Who told me time would ease me of my pain!
I miss him in the weeping of the rain;
I want him at the shrinking of the tide;
The old snows melt from every mountain-side,
And last year's leaves are smoke in every lane;
But last year's bitter loving must remain
Heaped on my heart, and my old thoughts abide!

There are a hundred places where I fear
To go, - so with his memory they brim!
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shone his face
I say, "There is no memory of him here!"
And so stand stricken, so remembering him!

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

Ooh, that poem makes me shudder with the thought of tragedies that could be :-(
My favorite poet has always been Edmund Spenser... it's tough to choose only one of his works but this one just might be my favorite:

Most glorious Lord of life, that on this day

Most glorious Lord of life, that on this day
Didst make thy triumph over death and sin,
And having harrowed hell, didst bring away
Captivity thence captive, us to win:
This joyous day, dear Lord, with joy begin,
And grant that we, for whom thou diddest die,
Being with thy dear blood clean washed from sin,
May live forever in felicity:
And that thy love we weighing worthily,
May likewise love thee for the same again;
And for thy sake, that all like dear didst buy,
May love with one another entertain.
So let us love, dear love, like as we ought,
Love is the lesson which the Lord us taught.