Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Blah, Redux

Lately, I've just not felt much like posting. I don't know if I'm feeling a little burned out on blogging, or if there just hasn't been much to write about, or perhaps it's a bit of both.

We set up Ethan's inflatable pool this week, and then it got cooler and then it has been raining. So we haven't gotten out as much as I'd like, and I've been using Bob the Builder and Thomas and Curious George far more than I want to to try to keep things under control.

I've been feeling very, very lazy. Part of it is pregnancy, I know, but I still just feel like I'm shirking. So, in light of that, here is a brief outline of what I hope to accomplish this week (if I write it down here in the blog I guess I feel a bit more accountable).

I ordered three books that I thought might help me keep Ethan occupied in creative and interactive ways. I have to say that they weren't quite what I thought they'd be (maybe i misjudged the target age, and I'll be more enthused when he's a little older?), but I'm going to dive in and try some ideas from them anyway.

First up? Papier mache. Brave or stupid? I guess we'll find out. We're going to make some pumpkins, to help with his imaginative play as his alter-ego (Jack the scarecrow, who is typically surrounded by his pumpkin pals). Currently he uses an AC jack, pretending it's two pumpkins joined by a vine. Imaginative? Yes. But do I approve of him sneaking off on a regular basis with the cord for the baby monitor? No. So, papier mache it is. Of course I'll take pictures and let you know how it goes.

Also, I discovered that the library in town does a storytime (with crafts!) specifically geared toward preschoolers. And it's at 10:30AM, so it doesn't mess up naptime. I think Ethan might respond well to the hands-on, crafty approach to storytime, moreso than just sitting and listening, so we're all over that this week. I couldn't find much information on it beyond this week's listing, but I hope it's a regular thing there.

Finally, lately he's been very much into learning about how plants grow (and why they die when he picks them). He has a bit of a fascination with roots, and how plants eat and drink. We're going to plant grass seed (or something similar - maybe chives or something?) in a clear plastic dixie cup so he can watch it grow above and below. He'll even get to eventually give it a "haircut" with his new scissoring skills.

I tell you what - it's really difficult finding appropriate activities for a 3-year-old with which they can actually be hands-on. If you have any more suggestions, I'd LOVE to hear them!

No comments: