Monday, February 26, 2007

Dismayed


One of the little girls in Ethan's class at church had a birthday this past week. Unfortunately we couldn't make it to the party, but we wanted to get her a gift.

Off to Toys R Us we went.

Initially I was thinking of buying her a baby doll and some accessories. I ended up not going that route, since I couldn't find anything really unique. The selection of babies was very slim. They did, however, offer a far greater selection of Bratz dolls. And something I hadn't seen before: My Scene Barbies, which apparently are the Barbie answer to Bratz. And, probably most disturbing, Bratz Babyz. Have you seen them? It's as if the sluttification of young girls was complete, and they are moving on down the line and starting in on the toddlers. Low-slung diapers? Bottle bling? Are you kidding me?

I suppose this means we've lost the fight. We've got girls as young as 6 and 7 wearing t-shirts with suggestive slogans on them, and we're marketing (and selling!) thong underwear to this same age group. Those that speak out against this sort of thing are labelled as prudish and behind the times. Even (gasp!) too conservative.

But if sex is so pervasive in your culture when you are 6, if you've already hit bottom, where else is there to go when you 10? Or 12? Where do we go from here? I suppose the Bratz Babyz have answered that for us. You go lower. In age and in standards. You dress a baby doll who isn't even out of diapers in a crop top, tease her hair, pull her diaper low, bling out her bottle, and give her a come-hither look.

It's discouraging. It's almost frightening. I worry about our sons being able to find decent girlfriends and wives when the time comes.

But even more, I have to admit that if this baby is a girl, I am scared to death of guiding her through these Bratz-infested waters.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I am SO with you on this one. It's amazing to me that it is often difficult to find innocent toys...which is really ridiculous!

My plan is for Ida to marry Ethan;o)

mommy said...

Sounds like a great plan to me! LOL They'd be perfect for each other!