Monday, November 13, 2006

The Best Spinach Quiche Ever

Lucky me! I am batting 100 with finding good blogs lately.

One of my latest finds is Smitten Kitchen. I've been spending all week drooling over her archives, and bookmarking about a billion new recipes I want to try. The pictures...the descriptions...it really is a gorgeous blog.

The night before last we tried a spinach quiche recipe that was written up by her thus,

"I’ve been making this spinach quiche for so long, I feel almost possessive of it, forgetting that that somewhere, other people must too, and now I am encouraging you, also. It’s fantastically simple, three everyday cheeses, some green onions and a box of frozen spinach, and keeps so well, it’s actually tastier the next day, with the flavors cool, settled and happily enmeshed."

Now, a couple of months ago, having never made quiche before, I tried a recipe for a broccoi quiche that was, to put it mildly, less than stellar. It was so disappointing, Dave refused to take leftovers for lunch as he typically does, and it sat in the fridge for way too long before I finally dumped it down the disposal.

But...

Simple? Everyday ingredients? Tastier the next day?

Sold.

I tried quiche again. And this time? It was an absolute smashing success.

Dave took the remainder for his lunch today. Here's our little IM exchange re: The Best Spinach Quiche Ever.

Dave: Hey
Me: ?
Dave: This quiche is 100 times better today than when it was fresh.
Me: that's why i wanted to try it. i'm glad you like it leftover. i'm making it again this week so my mom can try it too.
Dave: Cook several. I'll eat them as snacks.

This man does not typically wax eloquent about food. Especially in IM. In fact (correct me if I'm wrong, love), I don't know if he's ever once mentioned a leftover to me in an IM, good or bad.

So you can take that as the Husband's Stamp of Approval, and from him, and Smitten Kitchen and yours truly, I say, make this quiche. Tonight. Or sometime this week at least.

And then leave me a comment and let me know what you think.

*~*~*~*~*~

Crust (use 1/2 this recipe for the quiche. you can freeze the rest for up to 1 month):

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup(2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 seconds.

2. With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through feed tube. Pulse until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to process more than 30 seconds. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

3. Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator, and chill at least 1 hour. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.

Filling:

1 3-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup half and half
3 eggs
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed drained
1/2 cup grated cheddar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
4-6 green onions, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 425°F. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in half and half and eggs. Mix in remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

Now, if you'll excuse me? (Speaking of food) I got an Everyday Food AND a Food & Wine in the mail today. Score!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

This sounds so good...but I have an irraitional fear of pie crusts. I can't get myself to even attempt to make one...and yet I refuse to use a store bought one. Am I a dork or what?

alphawoman said...

Smitten had a fabulous jnl that was part of i-village before going food-o.

mommy said...

Oh Jamie! That's too bad! This one is so easy.

I didn't know she had another journal before this one. Interesting!