Friday, October 20, 2006

Stalker Mom

Making friends is difficult for me. I am very much an introvert, and socially I'm rather a bit of a klutz. I can't think very quickly on my feet, so a great deal of my human interaction is a bit awkward.

It's rare that I meet someone that I feel like I get along with effortlessly, so when I do, I treasure it, and try to keep in touch and become friends.

So this morning I was a bit of a stalker mom. Several weeks ago (actually quite a few months ago) I had Ethan at the park and another neighborhood lady came by with her son. We talked quite a while about so many things (mommy-related and not), the boys actually played well together (which in itself is shocking!), and I was hoping we'd meet up again, but I hadn't seen her there since. She'd driven by while I was taking out the trash, or getting the mail, and she'd always wave enthusiastically, but that was all. And I wasn't sure which house was hers, so I couldn't drop by and invite her for a playdate.

This morning, I happened to glance out the window and notice someone walking by who looked awfully like her. She had one child in a stroller and two on scooters. Now, I knew the lady I'd talked to before only has one kid, but I didn't care. I fed Aidan his bottle, bundled up Ethan and, hoping they were still there, walked over to the park. I figured if it ended up not being her, I will at least have met another neighbor.

They were still there. And it was her. She was watching two other kids for a friend of hers. So we got to hang out for a while, and eventually I got to talking to her about Ethan's party, which I'd been thinking about for a while, because I thought her son would really have a lot of fun at the museum. I just didn't know which house she was in for me to drop off an invite. So I think they'll be there. Yay!

And I'm hoping I'll actually be able to make a new friend.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I say GOOD FOR YOU for "stalking"! It's hard to force ourselves to be outgoing and meet new people(this coming from the Queen of Inhibition). And how nice of you to invite them to Ethan's party.

Claire said...

I hope you'll be able to make a new friend too. I know how hard it is to put ourselves out there. I am not one for doing it myself.

I'm glad you were able to meet up again, and that you've found someone you get along with so well.

mommy said...

I just hope they can come to the party! :)

I'm still kind of shy about it, but I'm working on that.