Friday, September 08, 2006

Blah

I know I haven't been putting much on here lately...I just haven't felt like saying much of anything.

It's been a bit of a discouraging and frustrating week, full of crap I just didn't feel like blogging, because it wasn't fun or good.

But I guess I'll just put a synopsis here.

We moved Ethan's crib back into his room this past weekend. It just wasn't working out. Actual bedtime was going perfectly, but naptimes not so much. I think I care more about it than he does. The big boy bed, to him, was little more than a fun diversion, and now things are back to normal.

The reason he's back in his crib is because he nearly gave me a heart attack on Friday, and I still have a hard time talking about it without getting goosebumps and losing my breath.

He'd been doing so-so staying in his room. When he would finally stay put, he would fall asleep on the floor, and it was not working perfectly but it was working. On Friday, Aidan was awake when Ethan was supposed to be sleeping. I thought we'd gotten over the Stay In Your Room hurdle for the day, and I thought he was drifting off, so I took Aidan with me into my bedroom to hang out so he wouldn't disturb Ethan's nap.

When Aidan got a little fussy, I brought him out to put him in his own room for a nap.

And that's when I passed the alarm panel.

And that's when I saw the light was lit that corresponds with the front door.

The Front Door.

I barely had time to lay Aidan down on the floor, I was running so fast to the door. It was open. The yard was empty. I ran out into the driveway calling him, and nearly cried when he came around the corner from the park next door.

He was wearing nothing but a T-shirt and a Pull-Up. No shoes. His legs were filthy, splattered with grey mud all the way up to his butt.

I told him to come to me, and to walk in the grass. Which of course means he went straight to the street. And a car was coming. Thank God they saw him.

It was 4:00. They are building a new phase in our subdivision and the workers get off at 4. I can barely even let myself think about what could have happened to him. It's a miracle he wasn't hit.

The details of his escapade came in bits and pieces over the next couple of days. He went across the street to the neighbor's house and chased their cat in their garage. He played in the mud. He went to the park. He talked in the trumpet phone.

It's hard to know how much to tell such a small child about the dangers in the big bad world. I told him that a mean man could take him away and he would never see mommy and daddy again. I told him a car could hit him and it could hurt him very badly and he would have to go to the hospital and get poked with needles. He repeats it, but that doesn't mean he understands.

It's obvious he's much much smarter than he is mature, so the big boy bed will have to wait for now.

Maybe we'll try again when he's 12 or so.

As far as keeping him safe, naturally he's back in the Crib Tent, and we have figured out how to arm the alarm to chime when a door or window is opened. If he manages to get to the door when I'm not looking, I'll hear it.

And now for my next hurdle: he's figured out it's fun to take off his diapers when he goes for his "nap" (yes, I say that ironically - being put in his crib doesn't guarantee sleep). I'll spare you the description of the messes I have thus far encountered.

But I'd hands-down take the worst of those messes and then some, over running out of the door in a panic looking for a missing two year old.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

What a scary mommy moment. Thank God for a safe ending!

mommy said...

I've never been so scared in my life.

THAT won't happen again, but I'm sure he'll come up with plenty else to turn my hair grey.