Thursday, August 17, 2006

TV

Before Ethan was born, I swore he would never watch TV. I insisted there was nothing worth watching anymore - that all children's programming was worthless, and even worse: harmful. My boy would READ, dadgummit. Books: REAL entertainment!

Well. I stand corrected. There are a few shows out there that are decent. Not many, but enough to suit me. And thank God for PBS, and even more so for Noggin.

Today was tough. All week Ethan has been having to readjust to normal family life without Grandma and Granny here. It's been difficult, and he's been more of a handful than usual (which, trust me, is saying alot).

TV to the rescue.

Actually, it started before he even got up, I'm ashamed to admit. Aidan and I watched a documentary on biscuits. Yes, biscuits. I was thisclose to being inspired to get up and whip up a batch, but my exhaustion got the better of me and I settled for a bowl of Cornflakes and a brownie. Yes, I know. Hush up.

Then Ethan got up, and he was incorrigible before he even left his crib. Oh, boy. A DVR is a beautiful, marvelous thing. Ethan watched the same episode of Franklin roughly 692 times. Give or take 1 or 2. Before you accuse me of rotting his brain, I assure you that yes, he loves his books, too. He just didn't love them today.

This was followed by George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh, part of PBS's pledge drive. We missed most of this, however, engrossed as we were in a tickle war. Ethan did take time out, though, to inform me he doesn't want to play the sitar. His musical tastes seem to lean mostly toward drums and, more recently, trumpet; neither of which he actually has, but he improvises and pretends. See? He does still have an imagination despite watching TV.

After Ethan went down for his nap, Aidan and I cozied up again in the master bedroom for a lecture I'd recorded: The Conversion of Abraham to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. I've always been interested in all things religious, and expected this to be interesting to me on that basis alone. I was unprepared for how downright entertaining it was. Professor Levenson has a wonderfully dry wit, and would unexpectedly interject little asides that kept me giggling throughout. If you are even remotely interested in the subject matter, I recommend watching the lecture. He brings the subject matter to life and does it in a very engaging way.

The boys were tag teaming me today on feedings and naps. I couldn't get them simultaneously content to save my life, and got nothing accomplished until very late in the afternoon.

But I learned alot, and surely that must count for something.

And, as I've told myself all week, perhaps tomorrow will be better.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I am SO glad that I'm not the only one who "caved in". I also swore Ida would not watch tv. And yet...she does. I keep telling myself to stop being lazy, but there are some days when I just need the "help". Sad...but true. I hate to even admit it!

mommy said...

Oh, goodness, you are NOT the only one!! Some days are just tougher than others. And it's not as if she just watches hours and hours of it, day after day. Some TV every now and then will not hurt her. Especially if you're really picky about what she sees.

Ida is a SMART girl!! You're doing a great job - and don't ever for one second doubt it!

:)