Sunday, August 13, 2006

Fun for Toddlers

Why, oh why did I not think of this before?

This past week Ethan had a couple days of extreme hyperactivity and volumes well up over 11. He wouldn't do anything I suggested, and when I finally plopped him in his chair for the till-now foolproof Crayons-and-Coloring-Book, all he'd do is bang crayons on the table ("drumming" he called it) and "sing" at the top of his lungs.

Finally I'd had enough. I sat down with him at the table, armed with scissors and about four Real Simple magazines. As he watched, I cut out any and all pictures of a reasonable size that I thought might interest him...veggies, fruits, boxes of raisins, cars, ceiling fans, cordless drills, telephones, boots, birthday cakes, Christmas trees, etc., etc. I then went to his craft drawer and silently handed him a glue stick and a sheet of construction paper. After doing the first one to show him how it's done, I let him have at it.

He sat in his chair, quietly gluing pictures to construction paper for about half an hour. It was exactly and perfectly the break I so desperately needed.

And the bonus? Grandma got to take home a collage of her grandson's favorite things.

I cannot, cannot recommend this activity highly enough. It's going to be my new ace up the sleeve.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I have got to go find some magazines. Ida too lost her interest in coloring...but LOVES her glue stick! Can't wait to try this!!!

mommy said...

Good luck! I hope she loves it!

Jamie said...

Went searching for my magazines this morning and THEN remembered just throwing them all out as Tom got ready to start working on the basement. WAAAA! I may go buy a new one just to do this today!!!

mommy said...

It doesn't even have to be pictures from magazines. This morning we've been gluing buttons with equal success. Plus I bet it's good for him (or Ida) to see different sizes, colors, and even different shapes (some are squares and flowers).

Just use whatever you've got on hand. I bet she'd love it no matter what you gave her.

=)

Jamie said...

Lucked out...went to library and they had stacks of old magazines for sale for 10 cents each! We're set for our after nap activity!!!

mommy said...

Yay! What a great deal! Well...what did she think of it?