Friday, July 07, 2006

Glasses

Today when I went in to get Ethan up I wore my glasses. I wasn't sure how he would react, because usually the very first thing I do in the morning is put in my contacts, so he's only seen them a couple of times but hasn't really taken notice, since there's always been something else going on to distract him (presenting the world's longest-running sentence!). This would be the first time he's gotten them full-force.

When he caught sight of me there was a very brief moment of stunned silence and then the sharp intake of breath, and for a second I wasn't sure whether that was a good or a bad thing.

Then, reaching out to my face, "Oh! New glasses! Orange glasses (they're tortoise-shell)! I like that! They're not freaky!" And then words simply failed him and all he could muster to convey the depth of his emotion was "Mo liliew bow!" (yes, that's exactly what he said. I've been repeating it to myself up till now, so I'd be sure to get it right for you, dear reader.)

So I guess they are a hit with my son. Not freaky, indeed. High praise from a two-year-old.

No comments: