Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Rewarding

We had a difficult morning here at Chez Mommy.

There was way too much to get into here, but suffice it to say, no one, from me on down to the dog, was having any fun. When I tell you that when I tried to spray Ethan with sunblock (which we've done on several other occasions without incident), he wasn't having a bit of it, acting rather as if I was trying to douse him in Sarin nerve gas, and that that was just tip of the iceberg, and that I have many, many more examples, surely you can see what I mean.

And then after we dropped off Ethan, Aidan and I had to make a run to CVS to pick up a prescription for a horrible cough Aidan has. CVS was yet another long, wretched tale that I won't bore you with, except to say that the pharm tech? Should not just be fired? But taken out back and shot.*

In short, I went all morning with no breakfast, cranky kids, and moronic CVS employees, and by the time I got home, I was not a happy camper.

I gave Aidan his first dose of medicine, and put him down for his nap.

Just now I went in to check on him. He had turned on his side, spit out his paci, and kicked off his blankets. He was sound asleep, and he was drooling a little. I covered him up, and he stirred ever-so-faintly. I stood there for a few seconds and watched him sleep. Finally without coughing. Finally breathing peacefully.

And a ray of light pierced the clouds of this dark and foul mood of mine, and my heart, like the Grinch's, grew three sizes, and still wasn't big enough to contain the love I felt for that boy.

I love my boys. I do. And on mornings like this one was, when I totally lose track of the point and am teetering on the veriest brink of my sanity, I would do well to have this printed out and stuck to the fridge, to remind me to take a deep breath and remember that there are two little rays of sunshine in my life. And that no matter how bad the day gets, given time it will all be OK again.



* Just to be clear, mommy does not actually condone the shooting of pharm techs, for any reason.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Awww, mornings like that suck suck SUCK!

I'm sorry to hear that this morning was so rough! Oh...to live close and be able to hang out and relieve stress...

Jamie said...

Morning like this are really hard. It can be SO draining. I hope today is off to a better start!!!