Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Fat Old Books

I am incurably addicted to books (much to my husband's dismay). Any books, really, I'm not particular at all. And the older the better. There's something about the look and the smell and the feel of an old book that just gets me every time. I'm not a serious collector, simply because I don't have the room. My dream is to have a house with an entire room of bookshelves, floor to ceiling, full of books.

But anyway, that's not the point. Here's the point:

I saw this post about fat old books and just had to show you these pictures of my favorite fat old book.

I picked it up at a flea market several years ago just because it was, well, fat and old (published 1900). When I finally got around to reading it, I found I really liked the story. And then....the clincher. Someone had penciled little love notes in the margins of random pages. How could anyone not love that.

Behold:





























6 comments:

Fragile Industries said...

Congratulations! You are the first to pick up my meme, and what a great example. A gift from a stranger in the past. I love surprises like that. Never found such wonderful margin notes, but it's fun to sometimes find what people used as bookmarks in a previously-owned book. Bills, photos, letters, I found them all when I (briefly) owned an internet book store and bought bushels of books at garage and estate sales. There's a word for that, but I can't remember it now. Watch my blog for developments.

Katina Mooneyham said...

I love books too although I don't have too many old books except the ones that my dad gave me. He used them in college so they are pretty valuable to me (about 35 years old or so).

I have my dad's notes in them too! I plan to share with my kids once they are old enough.

I've often bought books at a half priced book store and found a few notes scribbled in the pages. I have found one note but it was a grocery list.

Dave said...

That's a misrepresentation... I love that you love books. I just don't love PAPER books. After carrying all of your "dead tree" tomes, I'm convinced even more that the world needs more writing on electronic media.

From now on, I'm only buying you electronic books.

Thus speaketh your loving spouse.

:-)

mommy said...

OK, so that should read, "much to my husband's dismay - he would prefer I go digital."

Don't get me wrong. I love eBooks, and they have their place, certainly. But I think that an eBook isn't truly a book. It's a file.

=)

fragile industries said...

Oh. I found out the word for the stuff (not margin notes, separate stuff like photos, mash notes, slices of cheese) you find between the pages: "snuffle." It's supposedly archaic, which might be why I can't find it in online dictionaries. At least that's my brother's explanation, but he insists that's the term of art. On the other hand, he makes stuff up.

mommy said...

Snuffle! I'm laughing. What a cool word. I tried to google it, and came up empty-handed, except for all definitions cold-related.

Very interesting.