Friday, March 17, 2006

Day 4

Apologies to anyone who's not a parent - I don't have much else to write about lately but the Great Potty Training Endeavor, since that and nursing is pretty much all I'm doing these days.

We're on Day 4 of the potty-training. So far, so good. We're making a teensy little bit of progress...just enough to keep me optimistic.

I've changed WAY more wet pants than I'd like, but I guess that's just part of it.

One thing that seems to be working a little is to take just a little of the responsibility off of HIS shoulders. I know that some people say that kids have to learn it for themselves, but whatever. This is working for us, whereas just standing by and letting him wet himself over and over and over ad nauseum is just not the way I want to do it. I decided that yesterday afternoon.

I don't set a timer or anything, but roughly every hour or so, I'll check to see if he's dry. Mostly he is, because he has been coming to me by himself if he's wet. If he's dry, I'll ask him if he has to go potty, and he pretty much always says yes. We'll go in there and sit him down and just about every time, he'll go immediately. So...there have been a few less accidents, though they still happen.

And I think it helps him to have me ask him about it, so that he'll stop and think and realize that yes, he does have to go. If I didn't ask, and he just came out of whatever he's doing to realize he's wet, that hasn't helped anybody. I feel like doing it this way helps him focus on what it feels like to have to go. Because when I've been asking him, he has had to go, and he has been able to recognize that fact.

Just now, after his lunch, I told him the clock said it was naptime, and just as I was about to ask if he wanted to try going potty before nap, he told me he had to go! So we ran in there and sat down and he actually DID go. Right away. For once it wasn't a false alarm, where I end up sitting there for 15 minutes. So maybe...just maybe??? he's getting hang of it? And even more interesting (well, to a potty-training mom, anyway - maybe not so much to you. hehe), he was just the tiniest bit wet...almost as if he'd already started to go, but stopped himself. Of course, I have no way of knowing whether that's the case. But I can hope. And if so, it means he's at stage 2 - knowing that he is going right then.

And in the meantime, I'm doing lots of teeny loads of laundry (about 2-3 a day). No matter how many of them there are, toddler pants and undies don't take up a lot of room in the washer.

No comments: