Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fun in the Kitchen (with recipe)

I can't believe it. It's time to make dinner, and Aidan is asleep!

I'm doing real cooking tonight. Hurrah!

One of my husband's and my favorites: Greens and Beans of Provence.

I got this recipe several years ago from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It is from a local restaurant there (I wish I could remember which one), and it is truly delicious, and oh-so-healthy. I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's copyrighted toes by posting it here.

But first, some pictures.


My favorite knife! My favorite spoon!


Onions.


Double, double, toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble!


Listening to: Bjork, Post. I have not yet been able to leave behind the 90s. Though I admit I'm not trying very hard.

And now, on to the recipe:

Greens and Beans of Provence

1/4 c olive oil
1 c diced onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
8 c chicken or vegetable stock
14.5 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp herbes de provence (this should have lavender in it, or it's not worth buying (in my opinion). Find it here)
15 oz northern beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 bunches turnip greens, cut into 2" pieces, washed and dried (I just use about half of a 6oz bag of baby spinach)

Heat oil in Dutch oven over med heat. Add onions and cook just until soft. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic just begins to brown. Add stock, tomatoes, sugar, pepper flakes, salt, pepper, herbes de provence, northern beans, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes. Add greens and cook until tender, another 5-10 minutes.

Serve over rice and sprinkle with parmesan.

No comments: