Monday, December 19, 2005

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, and now that we have our tree decorated, and I have most everything wrapped, I am full of Christmas spirit and joy and all that.

So before I begin my list of Christmas pet peeves, I'll list the things I love about the season. Just to prove I'm truly not a grinch, we'll start off positive, and then we'll move on from there.

1) Clementines. I bought my first box of these yesterday, and I'm addicted. They are SO easy to peel, and there are no thick white membranes for Ethan to choke on. He's addicted too.

2) Hot chocolate loaded down with marshmallows. There is nothing better in this world than having hot cocoa and melty gooey marshmallows while you breathe in the frangrance of your Christmas-tree-scented house.

3) Christmas-tree-scented house. Heavenly.

4) Classic Christmas specials. The good stuff. How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Call me emotional, but all of these make me tear up every time.

5) Classic Christmas music. Perry Como. Bing Crosby. Even (or especially) the Peanuts stuff. Jazz and Christmas just go so well together.

6) Christmas cookies and assorted other goodies. I used to make and decorate Christmas cookies with my mom every year when I was a kid (although now that I'm older and have my own child, I wonder just how much "help" I really was!), and I'd like to start that tradition with my own. Not this year, perhaps, but soon.

7) Christmas through the eyes of a 2-year-old. To Ethan, the whole thing is magical and wonderful. Everything is, "wow!"

OK, now to the things I want people to stop, right now.

Worst line from a Christmas song:
This one is a tie. There are two that are driving me mad.
"Christmas comes this time each year" ummm...duh. It's not like Easter, with wide variances in when it comes around. It's pretty much always going to be on the same day.
"He'll be coming down the chimney down" I seriously can't listen to this song, simply because of that one line. It's horrible.

Worst Christmas song that my husband loves:
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Worst Christmas song in general:
Mele Kalikimaka (The Hawaiian Christmas Song)

Worst Christmas commercial I've seen this year:
All the Radio Shack ones, but especially the one where the guy (is that supposed to be a kid?!) is begging his dad for the car that he can soup up and trick out.

Worst Christmas Special:
Pretty much any sequel. I am not fond of hardly any of them. I don't like the Peanuts one (I can't remember what it's called), and I can't stand Frosty Returns (stop trying to be Charlie Brown!).
And don't even get me started on the "heartwarming" Hallmark specials. I hate heartwarming! See? I told you I was going to sound like a Grinch! Which brings us to the winner of our top prize in this category:
Jim Carrey's Grinch movie. I saw it in the theater when it was out, and have avoided it like the plague ever since.

OK, I've had my vent. Maybe now these things are purged from my mind, and I can get back to my hot chocolate and clementines with a clear head.

No comments: